torsdag 15 februari 2018

Prepare deployment by reading these two thousand pages

Some companies think their product is the best. It's da bomb as they might say, if bombing was a positive thing for software to do.

They think their product is such a gift to humanity they expect you to read through dozens or hundreds of pages even to just get past the EULA.

This might be fine for the user who purchased the application who then spend days excitingly exploring this new wonderous program.

It is not fine at all for the application deployer who has 550 other applications to manage and can't spend his full time job just on your special snowflake and don't give a shit about how great it is, or even what it does or why. Yes, 550 is the actual number of applications that I manage.

This is the Oracle Database Client Installation Guide. Also available as PDF it is 84 painfully boring pages, and yet when it comes to the most critical part of the installation, what components to include or not include, all it says is;

If you selected Custom as the type of installation in step 4, then the Available
Product Components screen is displayed. Select the products that you want to
install and click Next. 

What? How the fuck am I supposed to know what "Product Components" that "I want"? I don't want to install anything, I have to. What I want is to know what the fuck I have to install and why. Do my clients need "Oracle SQLJ"? How am I supposed to know that?



What I want. Apparently.


This is the Deployment guide for Office 365 ProPlus. Who on Earth has the time to read that through? Does it say anything about how licensing works on shared computers? I don't know because there is too much text.

The Overview: Deploying Creative Cloud for enterprise starts with a seven and a half minute long video. That is the overview. The full guide is found here with more pages than I care to count.

A deployment guide should consist of a single page. This is what I need to know:
  • Prerequirements. Do your program require some other program?
  • What the components are for and which are required.
  • How to configure the install. If it's an MSI, use properties.
  • What the error codes mean. ALL of them.
That is it. Most companies fail on all but the first bullet point and many even fail on that one.

What do these companies think I do at work all day long?

Not working, that's what.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar